Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Simple bagged greens or fresh market lettuce makes this a breeze, black beans, lime and spicy peppers makes a great simple salad with creamy avacado and a tangy vinaigrette.
- 1 medium red onion, cut in half and thin sliced
- 1 avocado, chopped fine
- 3 cups red leaf lettuce
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 teaspoons fresh cilantro
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup grape tomatoes or 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, ribs removed and diced fine
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, to taste
- Salad -- in a large bowl, mix up the greens. Add the onion, avacado, cilantro, beans, salt and pepper and cherry tomatoes.
- Dressing -- mix all the dressing ingredients in a measuring cup and stir well.
- Finish -- Just toss the salad dressing over the salad and that simple. A great unique flavor. Don't be afraid to make this a whole dinner. Add some rotisserie chicken, or grilled shrimp, anything. Just have fun with it.
- You can even top this with some good Mexican shredded cheese. It is a great salad. Even chopped up fresh fried tortillas or even just corn chips for a little crunch.
Really enjoyed this recipe. I wimped out and only added 1/4 jalapeno. Next time I will definitely add the full jalapeno as it adds a nice tangy kick. It kind of reminds me of McDonald's Southwest Salad Dressing. Tonight I served it topped with some grilled shrimp which I marinated in a bit of the dressing. Very yummy. Thanks for the recipe.
This salad was divine. What a great combination of flavors. Even my husband who is not a salad person loved it. I made it as a meal by adding cooked turkey. WONDERFUL!!!
We loved this salad. Left out the onion and jalapeno and increased the crushed red pepper to make up for that, otherwise made as stated. The vinaigrette was superb! Thanks for sharing!