Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 2 cups green tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (4 inch) piece cucumbers, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 chopped green onions
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- In a medium bowl, combine the green Ontario tomatoes with cucumber and the salt.
- Let stand for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Drain well and place vegetables in a clean bowl.
- Add the onions, green pepper, jalapeno, cilantro and lime juice.
- Stir well.
- Spoon about half the mixture into the bowl of a food processor, and pulse until finely chopped and quite liquid, about 30 seconds.
- Spoon puree back in the bowl and chill.
- Serve with cold meat, crackers and cheese, tortilla chips.
This tasted great, however, both times when I ate it I got severe stomach cramps within about 3 hours. I discovered on the internet that green tomatos eaten raw can be toxic and have that effect on some people. So, I now use the same recipe, only I bring the sauce to a boil first before using it.
Exactly the recipe I was searching! Simple, Basic, Reliable - regardless of personal variations. Combo of ingred's satisfy desire for FRESH. Loved it! Tip: scoop out seeds from cucumbers. I simplified the directions which call for food processor - no need. Fine chunks (knife skills) are great