Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I had a similar salad from a deli and tried to duplicate it. This is what I ended up with. I think it's fabulous! The deli salad was my first experience trying hearts of palm...now they're a new favorite!
- 1 lb fresh green beans, rinsed, trimmed and cut in half
- 10 ounces grape tomatoes, whole
- 3 ounces fresh Baby Spinach, whole leaves (about 2 cups packed)
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 (14 ounce) cans hearts of palm or 2 (14 ounce) cansmarinated hearts of palm, sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 lemon, juice of (about 1/4 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 g Splenda sugar substitute (optional for a sweet taste) (optional) or 2 g sugar, to taste (optional for a sweet taste) (optional)
- feta cheese, to top (optional)
- Mix salad ingredients together.
- Mix dressing ingredients together (except the feta).
- Toss everything together.
- Best if it stands for at least an hour at room temperature.
- To serve top each serving with feta.
- This stores well for a long time in a large ziploc bag if you only add the feta when served.
I was looking for a recipe using green beans and came across this. I used frozen whole petite green beans that I cooked in the microwave for about 5 minutes and then cooled. Also just used 1 can of hearts of palm. I added about 2-3 tablespoons of sugar to the dressing and it was just right. I marinated everything except the spinach in 1/2 the dressing overnight and then added the spinach and a little more dressing about an hour before serving. Very fresh and different for a 4th of July dinner. Thanks for posting!
This is a great and unique salad. I have been working on serving as much of our food as I can raw. This bean salad will be a staple in our diet as I can imagine all kinds of things that will go well in it.
I chose to make this recipe because I was looking for something different and to maybe expand our food experience. I have never had hearts of palm. I was dubious to say the least. I made the recipe exactly as written, but I did make it the night before I was planning to serve it so I did not put the spinach and the feta in until just before serving as mentioned in an earlier review. I tasted it before serving it to my husband. I liked it but I thought that he would eat it better if I crumbled some bacon over it as sort of a garnish. He eats salad type things better if there is meat in it. The salad is really good and the hearts of palm do make the salad, Hubby said that he would eat it again, so that means it was a success. Thank you for sharing this recipe and helping us to expand our food experience. PS I did blanch the green beans for 3 minutes.