With a slimmed-down white sauce, this creamy green bean casserole side dish recipe is low in fat and sodium.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh green beans, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dry ranch dressing mix
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups nonfat milk
- cooking spray
- 1 cup fresh onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a covered saucepan, cook green beans in a small amount of boiling water for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain and set aside.
- 2Meanwhile, for white sauce: In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, dry dressing mix, and white pepper until combined. Stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly; remove from heat.
- 3Coat an unheated medium nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Remove half of the onion mixture; set aside.
- 4Add mushrooms to skillet and cook about 5 minutes or until tender. In a 1-1/2-quart casserole, combine mushroom mixture, beans, and white sauce.
- 5In a small bowl, stir together reserved onion mixture and bread crumbs. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over bean mixture in casserole. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes or until heated through. Makes 10 (1/2 cup) side-dish servings.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Green Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.8
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 6.8 mg
- Sodium 64.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 3.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dry ranch dressing mix