Fresh Green Bean Casserole
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of slated water to a boil over medium heat. Add the beans and cook for until just tender but still firm, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the beans from the water to a large bowl of ice water to preserve color and to stop the cooking. Drain the beans and set aside.
- Melt 2 TB of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent. Stir in the mushrooms, season with salt and pepper, to taste, and saute about 3 to 5 minutes. Add the flour and stir for another minute, to cook out the raw flour taste, and then whisk in th sour cream. Simmer for just a couple of minutes to bring the flavors togehter and taste for seasoning.
- Cut the green beans into 2-inch pieces. Melt the remaining 2 TB of butter in a small pan. Crush the cereal flakes in a resealable plastic bag and add them to the pan with the butter. Toss to coat.
- Spread the green beans over the bottom of a 9-inch casserole dish.
- Pour all of the mushroom sauce mixture over the beans and top with the grated cheese.
- Sprinkle with the butter cereal flakes and bake until light golden brown and bubbly, approsimately 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve.