Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a wonderful salad; nothing interferes with the pure grapefruit taste. Make it as sweet or as tart as you like. Cooking time is actually chilling time. Recipe originally came from an old church summer pre-school cookbook, but I tinkered with it a bit.
- 4 grapefruits, peeled and white pith removed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 (1/4 ounce) envelopesknox unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1⁄2 cup boiling water
- 1⁄4-1 cup sugar, to taste
- Peel the grapefruit over a large bowl to catch juices, removing all white pith. Cut along both sides of the membranes dividing grapefruit sections, letting segments fall into the bowl. Squeeze the membranes with your hands to extract all possible juice. Remove any seeds that fall into the bowl.
- Juice one lemon to yield 1/4 cup juice; add to grapefruit segments. Set aside.
- Measure 1/4 cup cold water into a 2 cup measuring cup or small bowl. Add gelatin and stir to soften. Add boiling water and stir to dissolve.
- Add sugar to taste to gelatin mixture, stirring until dissolved. The amount of sugar you add will depend upon the tartness of the grapefruit. With the tart yellow grapefruit, I add about 1 cup of sugar, but with the sweeter red grapefruit, I may add as little as 1/4 cup.
- Add the gelatin mixture to the grapefruit segments and juices, tossing gently to combine well.
- Pour into a 9-inch square Pyrex dish and refrigerate tto set, 4 hours to overnight.