1/4 Photos of Fresh Gingerbread With Lemon Icing
1 hr 20 mins
I adapted this recipe come from Nigella Lawson's Cookbook, How To Be A Domestic Godess. It is rich, moist and quite delicious! I have made a few changes to suit my personal preferences.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the gingerbread
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 cup real maple syrup, plus
- 1 tablespoon real maple syrup
- 3/4 cup molasses, plus
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely grated (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten to mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, dissolved in 2 tablespoons warm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- aluminum foil (grease a 12x8x2 roasting pan or spray with cooking spray) or parchment paper (grease a 12x8x2 roasting pan or spray with cooking spray)
For the icing
- 1Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 2In a saucepan, melt the butter along with the sugar, syrup, molasses, ginger, and cinnamon. Off the heat, add the milk, eggs, and baking soda in its water.
- 3Measure the flour out into a bowl and pour in the liquid ingredients, beating until very well mixed (it will be a very liquid batter). Pour it into the pan and bake for 3/4 - 1 hour until risen and firm.
- 4Be careful not to overcook it, as it is nicer a little stickier, and anyway it will carry on cooking as it cools.
- 5And when it is cool, begin the frosting. Whisk the lemon juice into the confectioners' sugar first, then gradually add extract and milk, as needed to make desired consistency.
- 6Spread over the cooled gingerbread with a palette knife, and leave to set before cutting.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Gingerbread With Lemon Icing
Serving Size: 1 (77 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 228.2
- Calories from Fat 62
- Total Fat 6.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 38.4 mg
- Sodium 87.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 25.7 g
- Protein 2.4 g