Prep 2 hrs
Cook 20 mins
I made this from an abundance of fresh vegetables, using what I had and it turned out yummy!
- 2 medium cabbage
- 8 large carrots
- 12 large onions
- 8 green peppers or 8 red peppers
- 1 cup salt
- 2 pints vinegar
- 6 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Grind the cabbages, carrots, onions and peppers in a food chopper (I grated), then add salt and let stand 2 hours.
- Place in a colander and drain.
- Wash if mixture is too salty.
- Add the vinegar, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed and stir well.
- Heat and pour into sterilized jars and seal.
- Variation: Instead of carrots, I used grated summer squash, green tomatoes and added 6-8 hot jalapeno peppers.
I haved this as I didnt have enough to make the whole recipe. Looks great and tasted great.I kept a bit out to try lol.I cant wait a month.
I made 1/2 the recipe with no problems. I used red and orange peppers, nappa cabbage and added some garlic. I made 7 1/2 pints. Very Good!
I really had fun making this. I read through the whole recipe first and saw the variations. I made 3 versons. 1. The Original 2. With Squash 3. Green Tomatos and Jalapenos. All are fabulous, but I think the Jalapeno one is my favorite, Thanks Sharon for sharing such a delish recipe.