Recipe by DeeVaFoodie
This was in today's Richmond Times Dispatch in the food section. I really want to make this one so I'm posting it so that I can put the paper into the recycle bin.
Top Review by pcohiogirl
Great recipe, I followed it to the "T", with exception of the cheese and panko topping which I left out of the recipe as I had another dish with cheese in it. My family loved it.
- 453.59 g green beans, washed and ends snipped off
- 2 leeks, cleaned and cut into thin rings
- canola oil for frying leek
- 29.58 ml butter
- 226.79 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2.46 ml thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 29.58 ml flour
- 236.59 ml chicken stock
- 236.59 ml half-and-half
- 236.59 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- 59.14 ml panko breadcrumbs
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with several pinches of salt. Add green beans and cook for about 5 minutes, until they turn bright green. Once cooked, drain and rinse the beans until they are cooled. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, add canola oil to a depth of about one inch and heat. Add the leeks and cook until they are crisp. Remove from oil and put onto a paper towel lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add mushrooms and thyme. Cook until mushrooms are soft and begin to take on color. Add garlic and cook for a minute or less, being careful not to let garlic burn.
- Add flour and cook for about a minute, stirring the whole time. Add stock and half-and-half and stir. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and no longer tastes of flour, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix green beans into the mushroom sauce and transfer to a casserole dish. Top with cheese, breadcrumbs and fried leeks.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted, breadcrumbs brown and sauce is bubbling.
- NOTE: I guessed at prep and cook time as I haven't actually made this yet and the recipe doesn't say.