1 hr 10 mins
This was in today's Richmond Times Dispatch in the food section. I really want to make this one so I'm posting it so that I can put the paper into the recycle bin.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb green beans, washed and ends snipped off
- 2 leeks, cleaned and cut into thin rings
- canola oil for frying leek
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1Heat oven to 400.
- 2Bring a large pot of water to a boil with several pinches of salt. Add green beans and cook for about 5 minutes, until they turn bright green. Once cooked, drain and rinse the beans until they are cooled. Set aside.
- 3In a medium skillet, add canola oil to a depth of about one inch and heat. Add the leeks and cook until they are crisp. Remove from oil and put onto a paper towel lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt.
- 4Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat and add mushrooms and thyme. Cook until mushrooms are soft and begin to take on color. Add garlic and cook for a minute or less, being careful not to let garlic burn.
- 5Add flour and cook for about a minute, stirring the whole time. Add stock and half-and-half and stir. Cook for 5 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and no longer tastes of flour, stirring frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
- 6Mix green beans into the mushroom sauce and transfer to a casserole dish. Top with cheese, breadcrumbs and fried leeks.
- 7Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted, breadcrumbs brown and sauce is bubbling.
- 8NOTE: I guessed at prep and cook time as I haven't actually made this yet and the recipe doesn't say.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh G.b.c. (Green Bean Casserole)
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 255.3
- Calories from Fat 142
- Total Fat 15.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 46.0 mg
- Sodium 270.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 10.8 g