Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a simple way to make a fresh and elegant dessert, it's been a family favorite for years. You can make the crust and pudding ahead of time and put it all together before dinner to give it some time to meld. Use whatever softer type of fresh fruit is in season - our favorites are raspberries, blueberries, halved strawberries, sliced banana, kiwi, peaches, or plums. I usually use 3 or 4 types and make bands of each type; peel the peaches, bananas and kiwis before using.
- 1 tart shell (See note 1)
- 2 -3 cups vanilla pudding (made from a box of instant pudding with whole milk or half and half add 1-2 tsp vanilla extract. See)
- 1 cup whipped cream (the real thing made with vanilla and sugar. If using on top whip up a full batch now. No topping, wh)
- 3 -4 cups fresh fruit
- 1⁄3 cup jelly (see Note 3) or 1⁄3 cup jam (see Note 3)
- 2 tablespoons Chambord raspberry liquor (or other liqueur (see Note 3) or 2 tablespoons framboise liqueur (or other liqueur (see Note 3)
- whipped cream, for the top
- Have prepared one baked tart shell,see Note 1.
- Mix your pudding, cover and chill while you whip the cream.
- Fold about 1 cup of whipped cream into the pudding to lighten it then spread in your tart shell.
- Place your fruits of choice in a single layer of concentric circles on top of the filling, make it pretty: ).
- Melt 4-6 Tbls of jam with 1-2 Tbls. of a complimentary liquor, cool slightly and drizzle over the fruit.
- If you'd like serve, each slice with a dollop of fresh whipped cream.
- Note 1: I like to use Recipe #272116, any other short bread or nut crust will do; avoid graham cracker crust as it won't compliment the flavors as well or be as sturdy as you want it to be.
- Note 2: Use the small box for an 8 or 9-inch crust and the big one for a 10-12-inch crust, you might have some left over.
- Note 3: Good jam choices raspberry, apple, peach or apricot jam, liqueur choices - chambord or framboise, kirsh, or fruit schnapps, like peach - use your culinary imagination.
- Note 4- If your crust cracks you can melt down some semi-sweet or dark chocolate with a little shortening or butter and spread a thin layer on the bottom of the crust to prevent cream leaks, this is good even when it doesn't crack, especially with bananas strawberrie and raspberries.