1/2 Photos of Fresh Fruit Tart
1 hr 40 mins
This fresh fruit tart is the dessert equivalent of a well-tied elegant silk scarf, rather than lined up in precise rows, the fruit is arranged in a casual, accidental-looking style. All the tart components can be made in advance and assembled just before serving. Created by Ina Garten. From the April 200 issue of O, The Oprah Magazine. Select about 4-5 different fruits; choose tropical, citrus and berries, or just a nice melange. Haven't posted chill times nor have included the time allowed for making parts of the recipe, days in advance.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons very cold unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 3 extra-large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cognac or 1/2 teaspoon brandy
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh raspberries or 1/4-1/2 cup fresh blueberries or 1/4-1/2 cup fresh blackberries or 1/4-1/2 cup fresh strawberries or 1/4-1/2 cup fresh seedless grapes or 1/4-1/2 cup fresh mango, sliced or 1/4-1/2 cup fresh papayas or 1/4-1/2 cup kiwi, sliced or 1/4-1/2 cup sliced bananas or 1/4-1/2 cup fresh plum, sliced
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 2Combine flour, sugar and salt and place in freezer for 30 minutes.
- 3Cut butter into 1/4" pieces.
- 4Put flour mxiture in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade.
- 5Add butter and pulse about 10 times until butter forms small bits. Add ice water and process until dough comes together. Place on a well-floured board and form into a disc.
- 6Cover in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 to 45 minutes.
- 7Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- 8Remove dough from refrigerator and let sit 5 minutes.
- 9Roll dough into 1/16" thick circle, large enough to hang slightly over the sides of a 10" tart pan with removable bottom.
- 10Place dough in pan and cut off excess dough with a sharp knife or your thumb.
- 11Line tart shell with aluminum foil, then fill with dried beans or rice.
- 12Bake 10 minutes. Remove beans and foil; prick bottom of a shell with tines of fork to allow steam to eascape.
- 13Bake another 20 minutes until browned. Cool to room temperature.
- 14PASTRY CREAM:.
- 15In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment(or using a hand held mixer), beat egg yolks and sugar on medium-speed about 3 minutes, until mixture is light yellow and falls back into bowl in a ribbon. On low speed, beat in cornstarch.
- 16In a large saucepan, bring milk to a simmer. Slowly pour milk into egg mxiture, whisking steadily, then pour back into saucepan.
- 17Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk or a wooden spoon until mixture is thick, about 4 minutes.
- 18Bring to a boil and cook then on low heat 2-3 more minutes. (Taste to be sure cornstach is cooked.).
- 19Remove from heat; mix in butter, vanilla, cream and cognac. Pour through a strainer into a bowl.
- 20Place plastic wrap directly onto custard(so it won't form a skin) and refrigerate until cold.
- 21ASSEMBLY & GARNISHES:.
- 22Place baked tart shell on serving plate and spread with pastry cream over bottom of shell.
- 23Slice and group fruit to make casual arrangement. Place larger fruit first, then fill spaces with berries &/or grapes. Use colorful fruit, such as halved strawberries or a grouping of raspberries, near the center for focus and height.
- 24(other fruit garnishes besides the ones listed above -- fresh orange, sliced or fresh lime, sliced or fresh apricot, sliced or fresh peach, sliced).
- 25Place sprinkling of almonds over tart, and use oranges &/or limes to garnish.
- 27In small saucepan(or microwave-safe bowl), melt jelly with 1 tablespoon water.
- 28Brush glaze over fruit and serve as soon as possible to avoid soggy pastry.
- 29*TIP: Don't be afraid to be creative, this is the perfect palette!
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Fruit Tart
Serving Size: 1 (1561 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2743.4
- Calories from Fat 1203
- Total Fat 133.7 g
- Saturated Fat 79.8 g
- Cholesterol 958.8 mg
- Sodium 1395.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 362.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 174.5 g
- Protein 35.1 g