Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my slight variation of an old Southern Living recipe. I made it for the family Christmas dinner one year and everyone wanted more. The original calls for honeydew melon balls, but I had no honeydew on hand, so added an extra apple. I also diced the apples, cut the grapes in half and cut the orange sections into halves to make everything easier for the children to eat. The original called for 1 sliced apple. The preparation time does not include chilling time.
- 1 pint strawberry, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups seedless grapes
- 2 oranges, peeled, seeded and sectioned
- 2 granny smith apples, unpeeled and diced
- 2 kiwi fruits, peeled and sliced in rounds
- 2 bananas, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- Mix all fruits, except bananas, in large bowl. Combine juices and honey and pour over fruit, tossing lightly to coat all pieces. Cover and chill 2 hours. Add banana just before serving.
Wonderful! I was taught to make fresh fruit salad in cookery classes when I was 11 years old, and this is a similar techique to all those years ago! I had to run a little bit free on the selection of fresh fruit I had available - I had oranges, apricots, grapes, apples, pears and the honey and the fruit juices...........so I went with those! I garnished my salad with mint leaves and we enjoyed this for breakfast with croissants and apricot jam! Made for 5 A Day in the photos forum - thanks so much for reminding me of this simple recipe! FT:-)