Recipe by jswinks
This is a coffee cake you can make with just about any fresh fruit that sounds good. I have had it made with Raspberry/Strawberry and recently made it Christmas morning as a Blueberry/Pear Coffee Cake. I would recommend using fresh fruit and not cheating by using the canned variety. It's a recipe by Lou Seibert Pappas from the book Coffee Cakes, Simple Sweet and Savory.
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temp
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups fresh fruit, sliced, chopped, diced to your preference
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Butter and Flour a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine first three ingredients (cream cheese, Butter, granulated sugar) and beat with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to blend.
- Add to the cheese mixture and beat until smooth.
- Spread 1/2 of the batter in the prepared pan. Scatter fruit evenly over the batter. Dot the remaining batter over the fruit.
- Mix brown sugar and nuts together, sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a tester comes out clean.
- Let cool or serve warm. Yummy either way.