Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
A novel twist on slaw from the Texas Monthly magazine. This salad is best served the same day.
- 1 small jicama, peeled and finely julienned
- 1 chayote, stemmed,peeled,and finely julienned (vegetable pear or mirliton)
- 1 small red bell pepper, stemmed,seeded,and finely julienned
- 1 unpeeled granny smith apple, cored and julienned
- 1 clementines or 1 satsuma oranges, sectioned and seeded,reserving all juice (a tangerine, tangelo, or canned mandarin orange sections may be substituted)
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice (juice from canned mandarins may be used)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 6 sprigs cilantro
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil (pumpkin seed, peanut, or sesame oil in any combination may be used)
- 4 corn tortillas, cut in thin strips and fried in vegetable oil (red, blue or yellow may be used)
- Toss together first nine ingredients.
- Just before serving, add tortillas and toss again.
- Serve immediately.