Recipe by KyAmy
This is a quick and easy recipe I've used before when I want to bring something to a cook-out with our family. This is a colorful, healthy meal that takes a limited amount of time to prepare -- can be done a day ahead of time which just makes everything taste that much better!! It's also something relatively inexpensive if you have a garden and need a way to use up some vegetables quickly. I put my vegetables in the pot to "steam" where they soften up a bit. This also doesn't have any mayonnaise so you don't need to worry about keeping it cold if you're going to be outside. If you prefer the "cool-down method" you can rinse pasta off in cold water, add all ingredients, mix in Italian dressing, transfer to storage bowl with lid and refrigerate immediately.
- 2 cups tri-color spiral pasta, prepare as directed on box
- 1 1⁄2 cups broccoli florets, cut in half, if needed
- 1 1⁄2 cups cauliflower florets, cut in half, if needed
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 medium squash, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 10 -20 small cherry tomatoes, left whole
- 1 (8 ounce) can black olives, pre-sliced, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Italian dressing, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In very large cooking pot, measure water for pasta and cook as directed until al'dente.
- Cut all vegetables into cubes except cherry tomatoes and black olives.
- When pasta is done drain in collander, warm rinse, and put back into pot. Return pot to stove (be sure to turn off burner!).
- Add all cut vegetables, combine well, and cover for about 10 minutes to "steam" everything together.
- Remove lid and add salt, pepper, sliced black olives and whole cherry tomatoes. Mix everything up until incorporated.
- Transfer to large storage bowl with lid. Refrigerate at least two hours to cool.
- When ready to serve, drizzle and mix in Italian dressing to desired taste.