This is a quick and easy recipe I've used before when I want to bring something to a cook-out with our family. This is a colorful, healthy meal that takes a limited amount of time to prepare -- can be done a day ahead of time which just makes everything taste that much better!! It's also something relatively inexpensive if you have a garden and need a way to use up some vegetables quickly. I put my vegetables in the pot to "steam" where they soften up a bit. This also doesn't have any mayonnaise so you don't need to worry about keeping it cold if you're going to be outside. If you prefer the "cool-down method" you can rinse pasta off in cold water, add all ingredients, mix in Italian dressing, transfer to storage bowl with lid and refrigerate immediately.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups tri-color spiral pasta, prepare as directed on box
- 1 1/2 cups broccoli florets, cut in half, if needed
- 1 1/2 cups cauliflower florets, cut in half, if needed
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 medium squash, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 1 medium cucumber, cut into bite-sized cubes
- 10 -20 small cherry tomatoes, left whole
- 1 (8 ounce) can black olives, pre-sliced, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Italian dressing, to taste
- 1In very large cooking pot, measure water for pasta and cook as directed until al'dente.
- 2Cut all vegetables into cubes except cherry tomatoes and black olives.
- 3When pasta is done drain in collander, warm rinse, and put back into pot. Return pot to stove (be sure to turn off burner!).
- 4Add all cut vegetables, combine well, and cover for about 10 minutes to "steam" everything together.
- 5Remove lid and add salt, pepper, sliced black olives and whole cherry tomatoes. Mix everything up until incorporated.
- 6Transfer to large storage bowl with lid. Refrigerate at least two hours to cool.
- 7When ready to serve, drizzle and mix in Italian dressing to desired taste.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh from the Garden Pasta Salad
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 272.4
- Calories from Fat 64
- Total Fat 7.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 524.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 5.9 g
- Protein 9.5 g