1/2 Photos of Fresh Fish Steamed with Oranges and Tomatoes
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This dish is quite simple to make because the fish steams right on top of the simmering vegetables. The most time consuming part, I think, is cutting the oranges into segments. In a pinch, I think a couple cans of mandarin orange slices would work well too. The oranges added just a touch of sweet to the saltiness in the olives and feta. This dish is great served with some steamed basmati rice mixed with some fresh chopped cilantro. I adapted this recipe from Bon Appetit. Originally this was made using halibut, but I've used some of the fishes I mentioned below and those worked just as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced red onions
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup clam juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (can use 1 cup wine and leave out clam juice)
- 1/3 cup kalamata olive, pitted and sliced
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 1/2 lbs firm white fish fillets, rinsed and pat dry (halibut, cod, turbot, or haddock work very well here)
- 3 ounces drained feta cheese, thinly sliced (optional)
- fresh chives, chopped,for garnish
- 1Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet.
- 2Add onions and garlic and sauté until tender, about 8 minutes.
- 3Add tomatoes, clam juice and wine and bring to a boil.
- 4Reduce heat to low, and simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
- 5Carefully add the orange segments and olives.
- 6Taste sauce, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- 7Season fish fillets with salt and pepper, and arrange them in a single layer in the skillet on top of the vegetable mixture.
- 8Cover and simmer gently until fish is cooked through and turns bright white, about 12 minutes.
- 9Spoon the vegetables into shallow bowls and top with a fish fillet.
- 10If using, place feta cheese slices on top of vegetable, and alongside of the fish.
- 11Sprinkle with chopped chives, and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Oranges Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Fish Steamed with Oranges and Tomatoes
Serving Size: 1 (498 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 341.7
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 126.9 mg
- Sodium 426.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 37.1 g