A new fig recipe for this year! Similar to my Fresh Fig and Feta Salad With Toasted Walnuts but with blue cheese and a honey drizzle dressing. I like to tuck a few fig leaves amongst the salad for colour........but please do wipe them first! Serve these figs with crusty bread, some mixed herb and salad leaves.......and a glass of chilled wine. Quantities for figs depend on the size; allow one or two large figs per person or, between three and six for medium to small figs.This makes a fabulous dinner party starter, or a light salad for lunch..........I sometimes serve this for the cheese course too, for something a little different.
- Toasted Walnuts:.
- In a large, heavy frying pan, over a high heat, toast the walnuts for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove and set aside to cool.
- Honey Drizzle Dressing.
- Put the vinegar and a good pinch of salt and black pepper in a screw-top jar and shake until the salt has dissolved. Add the honey and walnut oil, then shake again to emulsify – the emulsion will hold for ten minutes or so, but give it another jiggle just before you use it to dress the salad.
- Wipe the fresh figs gently, and cut them in half. Arrange them on a large platter, OR on individual plates - allowing 4 to 5 fresh figs per person, depending on the size.
- Sprinkle 1 to 1 1/2 ozs of crumbled or sliced blue cheese per person, over the top of the fresh figs.
- Scatter the chopped,toasted walnuts over the fig salad.
- Just before serving, drizzle the honey dressing over the salad, and garnish each plate with 1 - 2 fresh fig leaves if available.
- Serve with crusty bread and butter and mixed herb and salad leaves.
- Can also be served as a dessert/cheese course combined.
I was at the store when I saw fresh figs. I remembered seeing this recipe when it was posted, and decided to get them to try this recipe. Of course when I got home I found out I did not have all of the ingredients called for, so I had to improvise. I used feta cheese, added a few sliced strawberries, and just drizzled on a tiny bit of honey. This was so elegant and so flavourful. I had never had fresh figs before and this was such a delight. I gave this to my husband as a starter and he decided to save it for dessert. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe.