Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
Poach fresh figs with honey and spices for an incredible dessert. The sauce is very sweet, add a touch of balsamic vinegar if you prefer something less sweet. Cut a hole in the top of the fig so that the sauce can get inside, and the insides of the fig can combine with the sauce. Note this recipe only works with fresh figs, it will not reconstitute dried figs.
- 8 fresh figs
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Trim the stems off the figs and make a small hole in the top.
- Combine water, honey, cloves and allspice in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Put figs in the pot and simmer, covered for 15 minutes, until almost done.
- Remove figs and reduce sauce for 10 minutes.
- Put the figs back in the sauce and reduce until desired consistency, around 5 more minutes.
- Stir in balsamic vinegar (if using).