Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 1⁄4 cup hazelnuts
- 1 lb ripe fig, rinsed and patted dry
- good quality aged balsamic vinegar, should be thick and sweet
- fleur de sel or other good sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Spread the hazelnuts in a small baking tray or dish and roast for 15 – 20 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant. Be very careful not to burn them. Once slightly cooled, chop the hazelnuts or pulse them a few times in the food processor.
- Trim any stems from the figs. With a sharp knife, gently score an “X” on the top of each fig, being careful not to cut more than ¾ of the way down the fruit. Press your fingers into the base of the fruit until the 4 “petals” you have created open to expose the pink center.
- Arrange the figs on a platter. Drizzle with a little aged balsamic, sprinkle with a little fleur de sel, and finish by showering with some of the toasted hazelnuts – you may not need them all. Serve immediately.