Recipe by Olha
Pizza dough is simple to make, but if you prefer, use frozen pizza or bread dough from the freezer section of the supermarket. Living Magazine.
- 1⁄2 lb pancetta or 1⁄2 lb bacon, cut into small cubes
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- fresh ground pepper
- yellow cornmeal, for sprinkling
- 12 ripe figs, sliced lengthwise 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus
- olive oil, to coat bowl
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR THE PIZZA DOUGH: Combine yeast with 3/4 cup warm water (about 100°F degrees); let stand 5 to 10 minutes, or until creamy.
- Stir well.
- Combine flour and salt in a food processor.
- Add yeast mixture and olive oil, and process just until dough comes together.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, knead for 1 minute, and shape into a ball.
- Place in a well-oiled bowl turn to coat with oil, and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Leave in a warm place until dough has doubled in bulk, 45 to 60 minutes.
- PIZZA TOPPING: Heat oven to 400°F Saute the pancetta in a medium skillet over medium heat until golden brown and crisp and most of the fat is rendered, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove the pancetta from the skillet, and set aside to drain on paper towels.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the fat.
- Add the onions to skillet, sprinkle with sugar, and season with pepper; raise heat to medium high.
- Saute the onions, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and slightly caramelized, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Divide pizza dough into fourths.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out each portion to make a 6-7 inch rough circle about 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle two heavy baking sheets with a generous amount of cornmeal.
- Arrange pizza dough on baking sheets.
- Prick each circle of dough several times with a fork, leaving a 3/4 inch border.
- Divide the cooked onions among the pizzas, and spread out over dough, leaving a 3/4 inch border between the onions and the edge of the dough.
- Arrange the sliced figs over the onions, sprinkle with cooked pancetta and the olives, and dot the pizzas with the ricotta cheese.
- Transfer to oven, and bake until pizza dough is crisp and golden and topping is hot and bubbly, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and serve immediately.