Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Use figs in season at their ripest. It is recommended to make the sugar syrup a day ahead to allow plenty of time to chill. Untried by me.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ripe figs, stems removed, peeled if desired and cut up (any variety fig will do)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice (or more to taste)
- Add 2 cups water and the sugar to a saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the syrup boils and the sugar has dissolved; refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
- Place the figs in the bowl of a food processor; puree.
- Add the puree to the chilled syrup; stir in the lime juice.
- Taste, and add more juice if desired.
- Freeze sorbet in an ice-cream maker following the manufacturer's directions until the mixture begins to freeze.
- Then scoop mixture into a storage container, seal tightly, and freeze for several hours or overnight.
- **Black Mission figs give the sorbet a ruby color, speckled with black if the figs are unpeeled; Green figs will result in pale pink color speckled with green if left unpeeled.