Recipe by Bergy
This sounds delightful and will be on the top of my list to make ASP. The mild licorice flavor would go well with a roasting chicken. Either stuff the bird with it or serve it as a side dish A short cut is to use 2 packages of stuffing mix, follow the package instructions then omit the bread & herbs from this recipe.
- 1 large fennel bulb
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped (Italian)
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage, crushed or 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups day old French bread, cubed, crusts may be left on
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove the top 1/3 of the feathery fennel leaves, slice it in two top to bottom and remove the center core.
- Slice the bulb crosswise (including leaves) 1/2 inch slices.
- Heat 2 tbs of olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the fennel, onions, parsley, sage, thyme salt & pepper.
- Stir fry until the fennel & onion are almost tender 8-10 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix the bread cubes with the fennel mixture.
- Pour in the chicken broth, mix well- use your hands.
- Turn it into a 2 qt oiled baking dish.
- Drizzle the remaining 1 tbsp of oil on top.
- Bake in a 375°F until it begins to brown on top approx 25 minutes.