Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
If you are looking for pasty, sugary frosting... this is not it! This buttercream is super smooth, creamy, and has such a fresh taste to it. Even though I normally include flavorings in my buttercream, like vanilla or almond, I find that this one is amazingly perfect just on its own.
- 2 lbs powdered sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 5 -6 ounces half-and-half
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and cream cheese on low to medium speed together until well incorporated.
- Add half the powdered sugar, and mix on low until its incorporated.
- Add 5 ounces of half and half.
- Add the next half of powdered sugar and mix again until its incorporated -- there may be lumps, don't worry about it at this point.
- If mixture looks to stiff, add a bit more half and half.
- Turn the mixer to medium / high speed. This is the "fluffing" stage, so continue mixing until buttercream is smooth, creamy and the right consistency.
- Ice your cake or put in a piping bag for decorating.