Recipe by Norelllaura1
This is a great end of summer recipe for all those home grown tomatoes. Light and refreshing by itself or with a grilled cheese sandwich.
- 3 lbs plum tomatoes
- 1 cup stock, I use homemade roasted vegetable stock, you can substitute chicken or 1 cup regular vegetable stock
- 3 garlic cloves, minced fine
- 3 shallots, minced fine
- 8 basil leaves, rolled & sliced thin
- 2 oregano sprigs, leaves stripped from stems
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil tomatoes in a pot of water until skins crack, remove and place in a bowl of cold water to cool.
- When cool, peel and cut off stem ends. Squeeze out seeds and chop coarsely.
- In a large pot, heat oil and add garlic and shallots. Saute until tender.
- Add tomatoes, broth, basil, and oregano; bring to a boil then reduce heat and let simmer for half an hour, while stirring occasionally.
- Add whipping cream and continue to simmer while stirring for another 5 minutes.
- Garnish with cheddar or Parmesan cheese.