1/11 Photos of Fresh Cream of Asparagus Soup from the Farm
Andi of Longmeadow Farm's Note:
If you look very closely, you will see the tops of the asparagus just starting to poke their heads right up through the sandy ground. For my whole life, as long as I can remember, we have had asparagus on the farm. Such a simple vegetable, such a thoroughly tasty vegetable. Sometimes, children don't really like it, sometimes they do. My children didn't care for this vegetable as they were growing up. It might be because their Grandfather gave them the "chore" of hand picking the weeds out of the asparagus patch. But now that they are grown and have families of their own they can bring friends by and family and say, "I used to weed that garden, and we had the best asparagus on our country road." Well time has moved along, and we still have the asparagus patch. And does it make the best soup around? Well, yes indeedy ...just ask Bryan and Mike.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup long grain rice
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1 bunch fresh asparagus (can use 8 ounce pkg. frozen)
- 4 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoning salt (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper (I use white pepper)
- 1 tablespoon cream (or 1 tablespoon unsweetened soymilk or milk)
- 1In a dutch oven, saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of oil until softened.
- 2Add rice and brown for 30 seconds.
- 3Add asparagus, and saute' for 2/3 minutes, adding broth and warm until comes to boil. Add all seasonings, but not topping.
- 4Cover and cook this mixture, (in low/medium) for 20 minutes, or until rice has softened.
- 5Blend mixture (reserve 1/4 cup of rice, asparagus mixture in pot) until blended and smooth.
- 6Add blended mixture back into pot and warm, adding cream at end, stir gently.
- 7Ladle into soup bowls, add topping as desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Cream of Asparagus Soup from the Farm
Serving Size: 1 (99 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 307.9
- Calories from Fat 92
- Total Fat 10.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 9.0 mg
- Sodium 1231.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 7.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: