Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From The New Americana Cookbook. Serve the waffles with the orange butter sauce on the side. Also, another option is to use up leftover cranberry relish if you have any.
- 1 1⁄2 cups nonfat yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 cups low fat cottage cheese (or 1 1/2 cups soft tofu)
- 1 1⁄2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh cranberries, chopped finely (or 1 cup leftover sweet cranberry relish from Thanksgiving)
- 2⁄3 cup slivered almonds, roasted and chopped (optional-can substitute pecans or walnuts)
Orange Butter Sauce
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons finely grated orange zest
- Preheat the waffle iron until very hot. Grease with cooking oil. If using the optional chopped nuts, lightly roast in dry skillet and set aside.
- Chop the fresh cranberries finely and mix with the sugar.
- Place the nonfat yogurt and cottage cheese in a blender and puree. Place in mixing bowl and stir in the buttermilk and vanilla extract.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together. Whip the flour mixture into the buttermilk mixture. Stir in the sugared cranberries.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks and fold into batter gently.
- To make the orange butter sauce, cook the butter, honey, and fresh orange juice over medium-high heat for 15 minutes. DO NOT boil. Stir in fresh orange zest.
- Garnish waffles with nuts if desired. Serve warm.