This recipe was adapted from one I found in Gourmet Magazine over 10 years ago. It is more like a buttery pound cake over a filling of chopped cranberries and walnuts, than an actual pie. It is wonderful served with a little whipped cream and a cup of tea. I usually cut the butter back to 1/2 cup plus a little.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Chop, then measure, the cranberries and walnuts. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar. Pour into the center of a buttered 10" pie plate.
- Mix together eggs, melted butter, remaining 1 cup sugar, flour, salt and almond extract. Stir until smooth.
- Pour batter evenly over cranberry mixture.
- Bake approximately 40 minutes until golden brown all over.