Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
These are super easy to make and always a big hit. I make them as muffins, but have also made them as squares--just bake in a 9-inch square pan for about 10 minutes longer. My mom always requests them for her birthday--we just split them open and add a scoop of vanilla ice cream. When fresh cranberries are on sale around the holidays I buy several bags and freeze them so I always have them on hand.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Beat sugar and eggs together until thickened.
- Add melted butter and almond extract. Beat well.
- Add flour. Beat well.
- Stir in cranberries and pecans.
- Fill muffin pan. Since these do not raise much fill the cups to the top.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until browned on top and done in center.
- Cool on wire rack.
These are extremely easy to make and VERY tasty, however... they are not your typical muffins. Sophieollie notes that she sometimes makes them as bars... and I suspect they would be much better as bars. They're quite different in consistency than other muffins (note that there's no leavening agent-- although, given that, they aren't nearly as dense as you might expect), and no matter how much you spray or grease your muffin tins, these will NOT release the way typical muffins do. I will definitely make this recipe again-- like I said, it's delicious!-- but I will do so as bars. Unless I can get my hands on one of those silicone muffins "tins," which might just do the trick...