Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Ohhhhhh.....I love cranberries and this is out of this world!
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a small bowl, beat butter and sugars until crumbly. Add egg and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder and whisk well.
- Add the dry mix to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk.
- Fold in the cranberries.
- Pour into a well greased 9 inch square baking pan and bake at 350 degrees for 55 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean.
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter then stir in the sugar and cream.
- Bring this to a boil, stirring constantly until mixture thickens.
- Remove from heat and serve over the warm cake.
Glorious sauce, though the cake was very, very tart. It also seemed to need something -- cinnamon, nutmeg, maybe. The adults liked it somewhat, and the kids found it too sour.