Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a relatively new recipe in my house. My mom got it from one of her elderly aunts. I've made it a couple of times in the last year and always get good reviews from friends and family. It goes together fairly quickly and makes your home smell wonderful while it is baking.
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups flour (may use whole wheat)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups apples, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts or 1⁄2 cup chopped pecans
- 1⁄2 lb fresh cranberries
- Cream together oil and sugar.
- Add eggs and vanilla, and beat well.
- Sift together flour and dry ingredients.
- Add to first mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Stir in apples, cranberries and nuts.
- This is a very thick mixture.
- Heat oven to 350°F and bake in well greased 9x13-inch pan for 45-50 minutes.
I came across this in the St.Pete times yesterday. I like Cranberry desserts that do not have orange in them, so I immediately made this. The only thing I did different was shred the apples instead of slicing them them ( I was afraid they might come out mushy) and I gave the cranberries a whirl in the food processor so I didn't have big chunks of them in the cake. This was really a great cake! I topped it with whip cream, Yum!
Excellent and very different from anything I've had before. Not at all sweet and the cranberries added a nice tartness. Kind of a cross between a dense cake and a quick bread. I made a half recipe but otherwise followed the recipe. I did cut the apple slices into thirds and will probably do a coarse chop next time. I wondered about the whole cranberries but they were perfect! The brown sugar and spices added a perfect flavor to the apples, nuts, and berries. Served with a big dollop of whipped cream but I think a scoop of vanilla ice cream would be yummy too. Definitely a repeater! Me likey!