Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
we like this with fresh corn out of the garden...this is adapted from cook's illustrated
- 3 -4 medium ears of corn
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- cut kernels from corn.until you get 1 cup.
- grate 1-2 ears of corn on box grater, then scrape pulp -- -1/2 cup.
- put in a bowl with cut kernels, mix egg, flour, cornmeal, cream, onion, salt and cayeene into corn mixture to form thick batter.
- may refrigerate up to 4 hours.
- Heat oil in large skillet -- drop heaping tbslful into oil.
- fry till golden.about 50 seconds, flip and fry the second side.
- TO MAKE OUT OF SEASON FRITTERS:.
- Pulse 2 cups frozen corn, thawed and remaining ingredients in food processor.
- about 10 1 second pulses.
- it will be thick batter.fry the same way as fresh.
This was my first try at corn fritters. At 56, there aren't too many foods I can say that about :). They were very good both plain an dipped in some maple syrup. My hubby requested they be put on the "A" list. The only change I made was that I used milk instead of cream, because I didn't ave any cream. They still turned out great and we really enjoyed them. Thanks for sharing!
I was looking for a recipe for fresh corn and came across this one. Wonderful! I've made this several times this summer and would only change a couple things. The onion seemed to overpower the taste of the corn, so I used only about 1/4 of a large sweet onion, and chopped it very fine so it could cook up better in the short cooking time for these fritters. I also added a teaspoon of sugar to the last batch, as the corn wasn't very sweet. If you don't use all the batter, this can be refrigerated till the next night, and it does just fine, just add about 2 tablespoons more cornmeal before frying. This also works well with egg substitute and fat free half-and-half, gently frying the fritters with the pan coated as needed with cooking spray, to make a healthier side dish. Thanks for this recipe! It is a family pleaser!