Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
If substituting turkey bacon, add 1 Tbsp. butter when rendering and 3 extra Tbsp. at the end. Best made 2 days ahead of time if using frozen corn. Substitute 1 c corn kernels tied in cheese cloth for corn cobs.
- Place bacon in a soup pot and cook, stirring, over medium heat until it releases all of its fat and starts to crisp, about 10-15 minutes.
- Leaving the bacon in the pan, spoon off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the fat.
- Add onion and celery and cook, stirring, until tender and slightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Remove kernels from ears of corn and set them aside. Add milk and potatoes to the pot. Add cobs to the pot and submerge them. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to simmer until potatoes are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove the cobs and stir in the kernels along with salt and pepper. Simmer gently until corn is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Remove 1 1/2 c of the solids with a slotted spoon and puree them until smooth. Return them to the soup.
- Add butter and let stand until butter is melted.