Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
Just as satisfying as traditional creamy chowder, this soup is prepared with low-fat milk and pureed vegetables. Its equally delicious made with fresh or frozen corn and peas, so u can enjoy it throughout the year.
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup minced celery
- 1⁄2 cup minced red pepper
- 5 cups fresh corn or 5 cups frozen corn
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup low-fat milk (1%)
- 1 cup fresh peas or 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 cup chopped fresh spinach
- Bring potato and water to boil in medium saucepan.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes until juts tender.
- Melt butter over medium-low heat in large saucepan.
- Add onion and salt; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked potatoes with liquid, red pepper, corn, basil, thyme and pepper.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Transfer half the soup (2½ cups) to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Return puree to saucepan.
- Add milk, peas and spinach and simmer until heated though.
- (DO NOT BOIL).
Loved the flavor and texture of this chowder--Very nice.
This soup was wonderful! Nice and light, but completely filling. It was super easy to prepare, and reheated nicely for lunch. I will be making this again, soon!