from Joy of Cooking
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place bacon in soup ot ant sautee over med-low heat until fat is rendered and it starts to crisp, 10-15 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, slice kernals from corn cob and reserve both.
- 3Once bacon is ready, pour off all but 2 T of fat, leaving bacon and drippings in pot.
- 4Add the onion and celery and cook until slightly browned and tender, 10 minutes or so.
- 5Add corn cobs, milk and potatoes to pot, making sure to fully submerge the cobs in the milk.
- 6Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer.
- 7Cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes or tender, then remove cobs.
- 8Add corn kernels, salt and pepper and gently simmer until corn is tender, about 5 minutes.
- 9Remove about 1 and a half cups of solids from soup and puree until smooth.
- 10Add puree back to soup with the butter and let stand until butter is melted, then stir.
Browse Our Top Corn Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (469 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 429.3
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.5 g
- Cholesterol 61.4 mg
- Sodium 1224.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.9 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 15.3 g