Recipe by Manami
What a lovely combination! Found in Eating Well Newsletter.
Top Review by sconehead
This was a DELICIOUS super lowfat, low calorie soup that everyone in my family LOVED!!! Both Parents and 11 year old boy and an 18 year old girl! I will definitely keep this in my quick dinner recipe collection!! I did use fresh corn on the cob from our CSA that I steamed in the husk in the microwave and then cut off the cob. That was a little faster to get it done since we were in a time crunch.... as usual. Thanks for the delicious recipe!! Also a great recipe to use up and use our CSA corn that was in abundance this year. We were getting kind of tired of corn on the cob .... wanted a change! This definitely fit the bill!!
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion, such as Vidalia
- 3 cups corn kernels (about 6 ears)
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 scallion, white and pale green part only, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley or 2 tablespoons cilantro
- hot sauce, such as Tabasco sauce, to taste
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until lightly browned, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Add corn and garlic; cook, stirring often, until the corn is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth and simmer until the corn is tender, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer 1 1/2 cups of the corn mixture to a blender or food processor.
- Add sour cream and 1/2 cup cooking liquid and process until the mixture is smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Return the puree to the pan.
- Whisk in cornmeal; bring the soup to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until it thickens.
- Add bell pepper, scallion, parsley (or cilantro) and hot sauce; heat through.
- Serve with lime wedges.
- *Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.