Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I adapted this recipe from a camping cookbook, Simple Foods for the Pack, by Claudia Axcell, Diana Cooke and Vikki Kinmont. Originally almost all the ingredients were dehydrated (except for the canned crab) so that you can just throw them all in a ziplock and heat them in camp with water. This is probably a great idea for OAMC, but this recipe is also very fast to put together if you haven't made it ahead. I had it on the table within half an hour from start to finish, and that included time to cook the potatoes in the microwave. This chowder is very rich even without any dairy in it, and obviously you could make it vegetarian without the crab.
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, minced fine
- 1 stalk celery & leaves, minced fine
- 1 large garlic clove, pressed
- 2 ears fresh corn, cooked and kernels removed
- 4 small boiling potatoes, cooked and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups fish stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 (6 ounce) cans lump crabmeat
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- In a 1 qt saucepan, sauté onion and celery in butter until translucent. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT crabmeat and cilantro. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring frequently. Reduce the heat and simmer covered for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the crab meat, heat through and serve garnished with cilantro.
With one exception, I was able to make this chowder as per the recipe ~ I did use frozen corn rather then fresh! Another time I might even switch to a lemon pepper instead of the usual S&P, but that's no biggie! We thoroughly enjoyed the crab & corn combo, & that, along with a green salad gave us a very satisfying lunch, thanks to you & your recipe! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC Tag]