Recipe by Kaccy G.
This pie is made from fresh coconuts. It takes a little longer this way, but you won't believe the results! Totaly Awesome!
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 ounces firm white bread, torn into pieces (about 5 slices)
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 medium coconut, with lots of liquid inside
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Toast the almonds on a baking sheet in the oven stirring occasionally, until golden, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Cool; set 1/2 cup of the almonds aside.
- In a food processor; pulverize the remaining almonds with the sugar.
- Add the bread and pulse the machine until reduced to fine crumbs.
- Drizzle in the melted butter and pulse to mix thoroughly.
- Evenly pat the mixture over the bottom and sides of a 3/4-inch deep, 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Refrigerate several minutes to set.
- Twist a corkscrew (or dive an ice pick or screwdriver) into 2 of the coconut's"eyes" (the dark indentations on one end), then drain the trapped liquid into a cup (strain if it contains any bits of coconut shell).
- Place the coconut on a baking sheet and put into the oven for about 15 minutes to help loosen the flesh from the shell.
- With a hammer crack the coconut into several pieces, then use a small knife or screwdriver to pry the flesh from the shell.
- Use a paring knife or a vegetable peeler to peel away the dark brown skin.
- In a food processor (or, with determination and stamina, using a four-sided grater) grate the coconut into medium fine shreds.
- Measure out 2 1/2 cups for the pie; reserve the remainder for the garnish.
- Raise the oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- In a small (1 to 1 1/2 quart) saucepan, combine the coconut water, cream and sugar.
- Simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently, until reduced to 1 cup, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Pour into a large bowl, then stir in the 2 1/2 cups of coconut, the reserved 1/2 cup almonds, the egg yolks and vanilla.
- Set the prepared crust onto a baking sheet, scoop in the coconut filling and bake in the middle of the oven until set and lightly browned on top, 30 to 35 minutes.
- While the pie is baking, toast the reserved coconut on a baking sheet in the oven, stirring occasionally, until nicely browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Cool the pie completely and slice.
- Place the pie back in the oven and heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve with sour cream and coconut.