Recipe by Mini Ravindran
Make your own coconut milk to use in South Indian,Thai or Ceylonese Curry dishes.
Directions See How It's Made
- Pierce 2 of the eyes in the top of each coconut and drain off the coconut water.
- Crack open the nuts; remove and grate the flesh.
- Place the grated coconut in a bowl with 1-cup water.
- Leave to stand for 30 minutes, then gradually blend the mixture in a blender and strain it through a fine sieve to obtain thick coconut milk.
- Add the remaining water to the sieved coconut and allow to stand for another 30 minutes.
- Blend and sieve as before to obtain thin coconut milk.
- Thin coconut milk can be used as the liquid when steaming vegetables.
- The thick coconut milk is poured over the vegetables the last couple of minutes of cooking time to warm it before the dish is served.