Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe was given to me by a relative. She reports that she found it in a McCalls Cookbook leaflet in the '60s. Made with fresh coconut, grated, it is the best I've ever eaten.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt; gradually add to milk, stirring until smooth.
- Bring to a boil, stirring over medium heat and boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir 1/2 of hot mixture into egg yolks, then combine with rest of the mixture in saucepan.
- Cook, stirring over low heat until boiling and thick enough to mound from spoon – about 5 minutes.
- Turn into bowl; stir in extracts and half of coconut.
- Place waxed paper directly on filling; refrigerate 1 hour.
- Turn into pie shell; refrigerate 3 hours.
- To serve: Whip cream, and spread over filling; top with remaining coconut.
- *2 cans flaked coconut can be used in place of grated fresh coconut.