Nanna D's Note:
This recipe was given to me by a relative. She reports that she found it in a McCalls Cookbook leaflet in the '60s. Made with fresh coconut, grated, it is the best I've ever eaten.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt; gradually add to milk, stirring until smooth.
- 2Bring to a boil, stirring over medium heat and boil for 2 minutes.
- 3Remove from heat and stir 1/2 of hot mixture into egg yolks, then combine with rest of the mixture in saucepan.
- 4Cook, stirring over low heat until boiling and thick enough to mound from spoon – about 5 minutes.
- 5Turn into bowl; stir in extracts and half of coconut.
- 6Place waxed paper directly on filling; refrigerate 1 hour.
- 7Turn into pie shell; refrigerate 3 hours.
- 8To serve: Whip cream, and spread over filling; top with remaining coconut.
- 9*2 cans flaked coconut can be used in place of grated fresh coconut.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Coconut Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (206 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 749.9
- Calories from Fat 444
- Total Fat 49.4 g
- Saturated Fat 31.3 g
- Cholesterol 165.8 mg
- Sodium 342.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 35.6 g
- Protein 9.8 g