Renee Ferraz's Note:
Old Southern Living recipe submitted by Kay Kelly, Pelham, Alabama. Roll Tide!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur
- 1 cup grated fresh coconut (I use frozen unsweetened)
Snow Peak Frosting
- 1Cream shortening and gradually add sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- 2Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 3Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture.
- 4Stir in vanilla.
- 5Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round cake pans.
- 6Bake at 375 for 20-25 mins or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 7Cool in pans for 10 mins; remove from pans, and cool completely.
- 8Split cake layers in half horizontally to make 4 layers.
- 9Custard filling: Combine first 4 ingredients in a heavy saucepan; stir with wire whisk until well blended.
- 10Cook over medium heat stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.
- 11Stir in liqueur.
- 12Chill mixture throughly.
- 13Stir in coconut.
- 14Snow Peak Frosting: Bring syrup to a boil.
- 15Combine egg whites and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- 16Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until soft peaks form; continue to beat, slowly adding syrup.
- 17Add vanilla; continue beating until stiff peaks form and frosting is thick enough to spread.
- 18Spread custard filling between layers; spread top and sides with Snow Peak Frosting, and sprinkle with coconut.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Coconut Cake
Serving Size: 1 (2232 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6591.5
- Calories from Fat 2099
- Total Fat 233.3 g
- Saturated Fat 84.2 g
- Cholesterol 1458.0 mg
- Sodium 3105.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1075.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
- Sugars 522.8 g
- Protein 82.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: