Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The next time you buy a coconut, use a bit of it to make this lovely cake!
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 cups cake flour
- 3 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk (or use equal parts milk and the liquid from the coconut)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup fresh grated coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 8 inch round cake pans.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks and blend well.
- Sift together the salt, flour, baking powder, and ginger.
- Add alternately with milk to above mixture.
- Blend well after each addition.
- Add vanilla, blend well and set aside.
- Wash the beaters in hot soapy water.
- Making sure bowl and beaters are absolutely grease-free, whip the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold the egg whites and coconut into the batter.
- Pour into the cake pans and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool completely and then frost with your favourite icing and finish by sprinkling with any extra grated coconut.
- If you have leftover coconut liquid you can also use a bit of this in the frosting.