Prep 1 min
Cook 8 hrs
This has been a Christmas tradition in my family for generations. I remember my great aunt bringing in this tall 3 layer cake with yummy fresh coconut frosting.
- 4 white cake layers (or yellow)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 16 ounces Cool Whip
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 coconut (only substitue fresh frozen coconut if you can find it, do not use dried)
- Bake cake and cool completely.
- Open coconut, remove outer hard shell, pare inner brown shell, rinse and grate.
- Mix sugar, sour cream and coconut.
- Fold in cool whip.
- Spread frosting between layers of cake and outsides of cake.
- Refrigerate overnight.