1 hr 10 mins
This recipe was posted by request. It's from Country Living Magazine, a summer issue from 200, I think. These are absolutely the MOST delicious things EVER, and I think the dough would make an excellent pie crust for most any kind of fruit pie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 3 -4 tablespoons ice water
- 1*Makethe dough: In the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade, combine the flour, sugar, ginger, and salt.
- 2Pulse until well blended.
- 3Add butter and cream cheese to the processor and pulse until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- 4With processor running, slowly add water and mix just until dough comes together.
- 5Form dough into a disk and wrap with plastic wrap.
- 6Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- 7*Formthe turnovers: In a medium bowl, mix the cherries, lemon zest, lemon juice, cornstarch, and salt together and set aside.
- 8*Assemble:Ona lightly floured surface, roll out dough and cut out 6-inch circles.
- 9Gather and rechill dough scraps and repeat until 15 dough circles are cut out.
- 10Evenly divide the cherry filling among the dough circles.
- 11Dampen the edge of each dough circle and fold in half over the cherry filling.
- 12Lightly press the edges with the tines of a fork to seal each half-moon-shaped turnover.
- 13Place turnovers on two parchment-lined baking sheets and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- 14*Bakethe turnovers: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 15Use a sharp knife to cut 2 or 3 small slits on top of each turnover to create vents.
- 16Place turnovers on the middle rack of the oven and bake until crust is golden and cherry juice begins to ooze from the vent holes-- 20 to 25 minutes.
- 17Cool turnovers on a wire rack.
- 18Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fresh Cherry Turnovers
Serving Size: 1 (1262 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 215.7
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 32.7 mg
- Sodium 217.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: