Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
We are heading into Cherry Season soon....and I love fresh cherries! This recipe ( I think it was from Pam Anderson) is a takeoff of one for apples or pears. I use to make it in the fall and thought why not in the summer? I don't mind pitting cherries, I just slice them in half and hope that I don't eat most of them before I make this!
Easy Crunch Crust
- 2 cups flour (all-purpose)
- 1 cup butter, melted and at room temp
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 8 ounces cream cheese, soften to room temp
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- 4 1⁄2 cups fresh cherries, halved (whole if you have a cherry pitter)
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract (the real thing, please)
- Prepare cherries and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Crust: Mix all the crust ingredients together and press inside an 8"x11" baking dish. Bake for 13-15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Filling: Whip cream and sugar til just holding peaks then fold in soften cream cheese. Don't whip this in as it tends to get liquidy.
- Spread cheese mixture over crust carefully and reffrigerate.
- Topping: Put cherries and sugar into sauce over low heat.
- Whisk cornstarch with water and stir into cherries.
- Raise heat to medium. Cook until mixture thickens, stirring regularly.
- Remove from heat and stir in extract.
- Allow to cool, stirring now and then.
- Spread over cheese mixture and chill.