Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Fine Cooking
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄16 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups cherries, pitted
- Heat oven to 350°.
- Butter a shallow baking dish (10-inch diameter).
- Combine the milk, cream, sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, and flour in a mixing bowl and beat until frothy.
- Pour enough of the batter into the prepared baking dish to make about a 1/4 inch layer; reserve the rest.
- Bake the thin layer until it forms a skin - about 5 minutes.
- Remove the dish and arrange the cherries in a single layer.
- Pour over the remaining batter.
- Return dish to oven until clafouti is puffed, brown, and a knife inserted into the center comes out clean - about 35 minutes.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar before serving.