Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Simple yet classic, a wonderful sauce over ice cream, angel food cake, etc. If you wish, you may ignite the brandy over the sauce for a treat they'll remember!
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 3 cups sweet fresh cherries, pitted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange rind
- 1⁄4 cup brandy (optional)
- Combine sugar and cornstarch in med saucepan.
- Add water and orange juice; blend well.
- Cook and stir until smooth and thickened.
- Add cherries and orange peel; bring to boil and simmer 10 minute.
- Gently heat brandy in separate pan, pour over sauce and ignite, if desired.
- Serve over ice cream.
very good! My children LOVED it!!!!
Excellent and easy! My wife (who hates things to be TOO sweet, absolutely loved this!
DH is a Chef and he makes a recipe very similar to this. One additional thing he does is after igniting the brandy he tosses a large pinch of ground cinnamon over the flame. The cimmanon sparkles and flashes as it burns (no negative affect on flavor) - just be careful to roll up your sleeves and make sure there is nothing overhanging your presentation area. This presentation always gets rave reviews and is an incredibly memorable dessert. (You can also try the cinnamon trick with Crepes Suzette.)