Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe resembles a quiche, but uses fresh vegetables as the main ingredients. It's so delicious, you will probably get requests for it often. I certainly do!
Savory Pie Crust
- 2 cups herbed croutons, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
Carrot Cauliflower Mix
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium cauliflower, broken into small flowerettes
- 1⁄2 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 1 dash dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare the Savory Pie Crust by mixing croutons and melted butter in a 9" pie shell pan.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown@ 375.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- In a large skillet, melt butter.
- Saute onion and garlic for 3 minutes until golden.
- Add cauliflower, carrots, oregano, salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle 3/4 cup of cheese into prepared pie crust; add veggie mix.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- In a small bowl, beat eggs and milk; pour over ingredients in pie shell.
- Bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30-40 minutes, until set.
This recipe is delicious. There is some work involved, but the end result is well worth it. I took it to a brunch, and it was gone within a short time, and everyone was asking for the recipe. I also served it with soup one night for a satisfying dinner meal.
I made this because I was insterested in the crouton crust and had a head of cauliflower to use. I had an impression that being a 'pie' that this would become more solidified and baked-like with the egg mixture. In reality, the egg/milk mixture just sank to the bottom and soaked into the crust, making it kindof doughy. It didn't really hold the carrots and cauliflower together as I expected. The taste was nice with the garlic and oregano added, but nothing extra-ordinary. Sort of like roasted cauliflower with a crust. It was also quite a mess to make - chopping, pealing the veggies, food processor for the crust, frying pan for the sauteeing and then the pie dish. Lots to clean up! Next time, I'll just roast the cauliflower and skip the crust and the mess. Thanks for the adventure.