Recipe by Nanners
This is a beautiful appetizer dish or side dish. It's great for potlucks and it always gets lots of compliments. The key is to use the freshest of ingredients. I buy the fresh basil and tomatoes from my farmer's market or (if it's winter) our local fresh market. NOTE: If you can't find little cherry sized mozzarella, you can buy the large sized balls and cut them into bite sized pieces.
Top Review by Leilani
This was really delicious and so easy to make! I made this recently for a BBQ. I used zucchini, instead of the yellow squash, and grape tomatoes, instead of cherry. I also added a small amount (a little less than 1 TBS) of balsamic vinegar. I put all the ingredients into a large ziploc bag, and turned the bag over every so often while refrigerating. At the party, I was too lazy to make the kebobs, so we poured the whole bag (including the marinade) into a bowl, and it was a wonderful, colorful, and delicious side dish!
For the marinade
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh black pepper (several grinds, to taste)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut into bite sized wedges
- 2 (8 ounce) packagesciliegine fresh mozzarella cheese (little cherry sized)
- bamboo skewer, 6 inch size
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk lemon juice with salt and pepper, then gradually add oil while whisking vigorously. Whisk in basil.
- In large bowl, gently toss vegetables and mozzarella together. Pour marinade over vegetables and GENTLY toss to thoroughly coat.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, but no longer than 2 hours.
- Drain vegetables and thread onto skewers in desired pattern.