This is a beautiful appetizer dish or side dish. It's great for potlucks and it always gets lots of compliments. The key is to use the freshest of ingredients. I buy the fresh basil and tomatoes from my farmer's market or (if it's winter) our local fresh market. NOTE: If you can't find little cherry sized mozzarella, you can buy the large sized balls and cut them into bite sized pieces.
For the marinade
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2⁄3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- fresh black pepper (several grinds, to taste)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 2 medium yellow squash, cut into bite sized wedges
- 2 (8 ounce) packagesciliegine fresh mozzarella cheese (little cherry sized)
- bamboo skewer, 6 inch size
- Whisk lemon juice with salt and pepper, then gradually add oil while whisking vigorously. Whisk in basil.
- In large bowl, gently toss vegetables and mozzarella together. Pour marinade over vegetables and GENTLY toss to thoroughly coat.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate at least 30 minutes, but no longer than 2 hours.
- Drain vegetables and thread onto skewers in desired pattern.